Here’s how to get involved with JAWS Committees
Please consider joining a committee or task force this year to share your unique skills and opinions. We need your help! We’re now seeking volunteers for these JAWS committees: board governance, CAMP, communications, diversity, elections, finance, fundraising, membership, regional groups, programming and elections. We're also seeking volunteers for a short-term task force to help create a sustainable mentorship program.
JAWS is, and always has been, member driven. That means our ambitious plans can’t happen without your unique skills, talents and perspectives. Please consider joining a committee or task force this year to advance the professional empowerment and personal growth of women in journalism and advocate for more inclusive coverage of the diverse experiences and cultures that comprise our society.
The JAWS board and staff have structured committees and task forces that will put your skills and ideas to work — whether that’s designing new digital programming, participating in diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) efforts, creating a new mentorship program, supporting regional get-togethers and much more.
Joining a committee is a fantastic opportunity to develop new skills and connections while transforming the world. You’ll get leadership experience, build your resume, make new friends, expand your network -- and help JAWS deliver the best resources, create useful, innovative programming and build a stronger sense of community for members like you.
You must be a current, active JAWS member to volunteer with any of these committees. If you would like to join JAWS, visit our member sign-up page.
To apply for a committee or task force, select your top choice from the boxes under the "Sign Up" header at the right of your screen (or at the bottom of this page if you're on mobile). This will take you to an application form, where you will also be asked to select at least one alternate committee in case your first choice is full.
If you want to volunteer but aren't ready to serve on a committee, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Volunteer" in the subject line. Any questions? Send them to Interim Executive Director Eloiza Altoro at email@example.com or 414-333-6716 or Communications and Program Manager J. Kyle Foster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Programs and Services Committee
Help evaluate past national and regional programming to keep what works! Recommend and help design NEW all-year programming for the JAWS community, including professional development; current issues in journalism; fellowships; collaborations; mentorship and sponsorship.
- Design professional development for women journalists at every career stage, including webinars
- Identify relationships with programming partners in and outside the industry
- Keep members in-the-know re: innovative thinking in journalism and how we're solving our industry crisis
- Foster mentoring relationships as well as cross-cultural, cross-platform, inter-generational, etc. collaborations, too.
Develop the annual conference programming, including keynote speaker(s), panel sessions and training workshops in addition to activities.
- Produce diverse programming and set requirements for panels, presentations, and speakers
- Evaluate proposals that will result in diverse CAMP offering
Help identify and communicate with the next board members
Understand the composition of, assess the needs and identify value and benefits for the JAWS membership. Lead efforts in sustaining and boosting JAWS membership, with emphasis on diversity in age, race, ethnicity, media, and regions of the country.
- Develop outreach and engagement strategies
- Assess member needs
- Evaluate membership benefits and develop robust offerings
- Assist with membership renewal campaigns
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee
Set goals and offer guidance for assuring that diversity is reflected and promoted throughout JAWS.
- Form DEI action plan based strategic priorities.
- Plan, promote and participate in programs highlighting DEI initiatives
Provide financial oversight and support to JAWS. Works with the treasurer to review expenditures and determine the annual budget, including funds available for CAMP and scholarships/fellowships.
- Review financial statements
- Develop annual budget and financial priorities
- Review 990s (IRS tax forms)
- Help prepare financial material for the annual report
Fundraising and Development Committee
Work with the board to raise funds and develop sources of revenue to sustain and expand JAWS programs and services.
- Identify revenue streams and develop fundraising strategies
- Participate in fundraising campaigns (phone calls, personal contacts)
- Explore sustainable models and sources to support JAWS for the long-term
Oversee external and internal communications to assure that members are fully informed and to heighten the profile of JAWS across platforms. Coordinates public statements on behalf of the organization with the JAWS president, board and staff.
- Assess all JAWS communications platforms, including newsletter, email alerts, website, social media
- Create and implement a sustainable communication strategy
- Work with staff on developing/implementing communications campaigns
- Develop rapid-response plans and statements when public issues arise related to women in journalism
Regional Groups Committee
Support regional captains on partnering and developing programming to meet the needs of regional members during the year at locations across the country.
- Develop a strong regional captain cohort and support system
- Coordinate with the national JAWS organization on regional programs/events
- Develop regional programming that can be rolled out at low cost
Board Governance Committee
This committee will work to update current JAWS bylaws. Review and provide recommendations.
This short-term (3-4 months) task force was created to develop solutions and recommendations for future development.
Mentorship Task Force
This task force will work together to make recomendations to the board for the next iteration of JAWS mentorship. JAWS wants to create a sustainable, comprehensive mentorship program.